Anatomy
Fact-checked

At WiseGEEK, we're committed to delivering accurate, trustworthy information. Our expert-authored content is rigorously fact-checked and sourced from credible authorities. Discover how we uphold the highest standards in providing you with reliable knowledge.

Learn more...

Can Your Hair Really Turn White Overnight?

The idea of hair turning white overnight is steeped in folklore, often linked to extreme stress or trauma. Scientifically, such a rapid color change is unlikely due to hair's growth cycle. However, certain medical conditions can cause hair to appear to whiten quickly. Intrigued by how our bodies react in extraordinary circumstances? Let's examine the facts behind this hair-raising tale. What's your take on this phenomenon?

Whether you think you've seen a ghost, been terrified by a giant spider, or just creeped out by a scary movie, you're (probably) not going to wake up with white hair – unless you already have white hair.

Although no one can prove that it can't happen, except for some longstanding myths and other fictions, there's never been a scientifically corroborated case of hair suddenly going white or gray overnight. Interestingly, what is possible is for stress or a sudden shock to cause hair loss. It has been theorized that in some cases, only the pigmented (darker) hair will fall out, leaving just the gray – so it looks as if you have suddenly gone gray (or white). Your hair can also go gray in a relatively short time if you are under a great deal of sustained stress – just not overnight.

Fun with follicles:

  • On an average day, you lose up to 150 strands of hair from your head.

  • At a given time, 10% of your hair "rests" while the other 90% is growing.

  • Hair is so strong that one person's hair could theoretically hold up two elephants.

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

Post your comments
Login:
Forgot password?
Register:
    • One’s hair turning white overnight seems to be a myth, though it can happen fairly quickly after stressful events.
      By: diego cervo
      One’s hair turning white overnight seems to be a myth, though it can happen fairly quickly after stressful events.