A few Christmas's back, one of the local families had a fire and the house and all of the Christmas presents were destroyed. The fire was sparked by one of those little electric heaters.
The family had several kids. Adult fire victims have a hard enough time handling the damage. For the kids it is even worse, and this was particularly bad because the kids had been looking forward to opening their Christmas gifts.
One of the owners of a local mobile home park let the family move into one of his empty trailers. Then everybody in the community started taking what they could to the family, and by the time Christmas came they had as much as they had before the fire. Of course, there are some things that can't be replaced, but at least they had what they needed.
And the kids ended up with more gifts than they could have ever imagined. In a small close knit community, people help each other when they need help.