What Is an Electrical Short?

Article Details
  • Written By: Mary McMahon
  • Edited By: O. Wallace
  • Last Modified Date: 28 September 2019
  • Copyright Protected:
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
In 2014, scientists mapped a roundworm's brain and uploaded it into a Lego robot, which moved without instructions.  more...

October 15 ,  1969 :  The US Vietnam Moratorium march took place.  more...

An electrical short or a short circuit is a problem which occurs when an accidental path is created in a circuit, generating a connection where one did not exist before. Since electrical current follows the path of least resistance, it would follow this path rather than the one established in the circuit, causing an unusually high flow of current. Classically, shorts occur when bare wires cross, as for example when the insulation in an old outlet wears away, allowing wires to touch each other. People sometimes use the term “short” to refer to any problem with an electrical system, regardless as to whether or not it is a true electrical short.

Electrical shorts are very serious problems. The high rate of current results in the generation of heat, which can cause sparks or a fire. An electrical short often generates a distinctive popping noise when the circuit is activated, as the electricity follows the new connection it has discovered and the circuit is suddenly overloaded with energy. Smoke or flames may appear, and the short can be strong enough to melt insulation on electrical wiring, or to cause damage to the circuit itself.


In addition to being caused by worn insulation, an electrical short can also occur when a circuit is not wired properly, as for example when someone fails to notice that the metal lining of an electrical outlet is in contact with one of the wires. Shorts can also be created by damage. Storms often cause a plethora of electrical shorts which overwhelms the grid when trees and branches fall on power lines.

Circuit designers are well aware that shorts are a common hazard, whether one is making a lamp or laying out power lines. As a result, many circuits are equipped with overcurrent protection. Overcurrent protection detects an unusually high rate of current, and trips the circuit off to reduce the risk of damage. Many people have experienced tripped breakers or blown fuses as a result of overcurrent protection on household circuits.

When an electrical short occurs, it needs to be addressed. If someone is not comfortable working with electricity, an electrician can be called in to determine the cause of the short and repair it. Unrepaired shorts can cause fires and severe damage, and it's usually cheaper to get an electrician out the minute a problem occurs, rather than to wait for a fire to spark, or for an electrical system to fail catastrophically.


You might also Like


Discuss this Article

Post 6

Overload protection does not protect against short circuits. Overcurrent protection does.

"What's the Difference?" you ask.

Overload protection protects equipment.

Overcurrent prtection protects people.

Post 5

I crossed two wires together accidentally. What should I do to get the lights back on and such?

Post 4

@Lonelygod: I just had this happen to me. It was arcing around the busbar of my breaker that was causing the fluctuations.

Post 2

If you find the lights in your home flickering and dimming, as well as notice your power fluctuating, could an electrical short cause this?

I have noticed that our lights seem to dim quite a bit throughout the night, but occasionally go back to working at full power. It also seems to affect our modem and anything we have plugged in.

If it isn't an electrical short, what are some of the other things that could be causing this?

We would really like to get this fixed as it is bothersome and we worry there many be something potentially serious causing it.

Post 1

If you ever notice an electrical short in your house do not attempt to fix it yourself unless you have some electrical experience. Playing with an electrical short is an excellent way to get electrocuted.

I lived in an older house and some of the wires started sparking. We nearly had a fire, but managed to get someone in to fix it right away. My friend at the time was all gung-ho about trying to fix it himself, although we managed to keep him off the wires.

Our electrician told us that without the proper safety equipment our friend would have been probably hospitalized for touching the live wires.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously


forgot password?