The most common symptoms of spider bite reactions are pain, inflammation, and itching. If the spider venom is poisonous the bite may cause a more severe reaction, which may require immediate medical attention. Most spider venom can be processed by the body, but some people are allergic to venom, even if it is not dangerous, and a bite can cause a severe reaction.
People do not often realize a spider has bitten them, or they may think the bite came from another insect. Spiders dwell in warm, dry, dark places, and normally they will stay away from contact with humans. The fangs of most species of spiders are usually not strong enough to pierce the tough outer layer of human skin, but if a bite does occur, the person should thoroughly clean and disinfect the bite mark as soon as possible to prevent more severe spider bite reactions from developing.
If the person was able to see the spider before being bitten, they should look for the markings of well-known spiders whose venom is poisonous and report this information to a physician. The brown recluse spider has three pairs of eyes and a violin shaped brown spot on the top of its abdomen. Black widow spiders are marked with a red hourglass symbol on the underside of its body. The wolf, mouse, hobo, and black house spider bites are also dangerous, and can be lethal to young children and the elderly.
Severe spider bite reactions from poisonous venom causes vomiting, vision impairment, fatigue, and memory loss. Hypertension, abdominal cramps, sweating and shortness of breath are also spider bite reactions. In some instances, the venom can cause the tissue around the bite mark to die, and this can spread to surrounding tissue, so it is imperative to seek professional medical attention. If a person believes they have been bitten by a poisonous species, they should clean the bite mark and tie a tourniquet around the limb to prevent the spread of the venom until they can seek medical care.
Most spider bites will heal in time, but a person can apply a cold compress and take an anti-inflammatory to reduce the pain and swelling. If a person is allergic to any type of spider bite they may experience wheezing or develop hives. An allergic reaction can cause the throat to swell and constrict the person’s ability to breathe, which can result in brain damage or death.