Raising a dog, assuming an average life span of 14 years, can cost anywhere between about $4,300 U.S. Dollars (USD) for very basic care to $38,905 USD for super-pampered pets. On average, a well-cared for dog will cost about $12,500 USD to raise. The average figures don't take into account serious illnesses requiring expensive surgeries, which can add thousands of dollars to the total cost.
More pooch facts:
- One in three U.S. families has one or more dogs.
- Research has shown that pets can help improve their owner's health by reducing stress, lowering blood pressure and relieving depression.
- Studies have shown that owners of dogs are more likely to survive after a heart attack as compared to those without dogs or other kinds of pets.
- The average dog lives between eight and 15 years.
- Dogs have been domesticated as pets for about 12,000 years.