How Do I Recognize an Amoxicillin Overdose?

Amoxicillin overdose symptoms can vary widely from one person to another and may depend in part on the amount of the drug in the body. A mild overdose may cause symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, or abdominal discomfort. Blood in the urine, flu-like symptoms, and the development of a yeast infection may occur as the result of an amoxicillin overdose. More severe overdose symptoms may include reduced urine output, swelling, or yellowing of the skin or eyes. Any suspected overdose should be reported to a doctor for further evaluation to make sure there are no potentially life-threatening complications present.

A mild amoxicillin overdose may cause symptoms that are easily confused with other medical conditions. Flu-like symptoms such as fever, runny nose, or muscle pain may not be recognized as signs of an allergy. Nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting are potential symptoms of an overdose of amoxicillin as well. If these symptoms become severe or if they are accompanied by severe abdominal pain, medical assistance should be obtained right away.

Kidney damage may occur in more severe cases of amoxicillin overdose. Blood in the urine or decreased urination are symptoms that should be checked out by a physician to rule out the presence of infection or blockage. Swelling, especially involving the face, hands, and feet, may be an indicator of decreased kidney function. Kidney damage related to this type of overdose may not always be reversible and may require dialysis or kidney transplant.


Jaundice is a possible symptom of an amoxicillin overdose and causes the skin or the white portion of the eyes to appear yellow. The development of jaundice is usually related to some form of liver dysfunction. Prescription medications may be be used to help treat this condition, although surgical intervention is sometimes necessary. Severe liver damage may result in the surgical removal of the damaged portion of the organ.

Anaphylaxis is among the potential amoxicillin overdose symptoms. This potentially fatal type of allergic reaction may cause the throat to swell, leading to difficulty breathing and decreased oxygen supply to the brain and other vital organs. Additional symptoms may include facial swelling, chest pain, and the development of an itchy rash. Without emergency medical attention, anaphylaxis can cause permanent brain damage or death within a matter of minutes. If any type of allergic reaction is suspected, a doctor should be consulted to make sure there are no serious health risks present.


You might also Like


Discuss this Article

Post 5

@OeKc05 – I hate it when I get medicine in a big bottle! I am forgetful, and like your grandmother, I took two doses in one morning. I didn't get sick at my stomach, but I did have a reaction.

I got the worst yeast infection I have ever had. It was so extremely itchy that I scratched my skin raw. It even caused the area to swell up.

I had to go back to my doctor and tell her what had happened. She gave me the same treatment she would give for a naturally occurring yeast infection, and it worked.

She told me that I should get one of those pill holders with the letters of the days written on each compartment to help me remember if I had taken my medicine or not. I thought this was a wise idea.

Post 4

@seag47 - Sometimes pharmacies give out amoxicillin in bottles rather than in dose packs. If you are forgetful, you could easily overdose on it.

My grandmother forgets things easily. Unfortunately, her doctor gave her the kind in a bottle. She could not remember whether she had taken her medicine one morning, so she took another one.

She started having terrible nausea within the hour. She ran to the toilet. She had a bucket to throw up in, and she had diarrhea at the same time. It was the worst she had ever felt.

Post 3

I can understand how an amoxicillin overdose could cause stomach upset. I can barely take the regular dosage of it without feeling ill.

My mother and I both have the same reaction to amoxicillin. It makes us nauseated, and it makes all food and beverages taste bitter the entire time we are taking it.

We always ask our doctors for something else. We just are not built to handle this type of antibiotic.

I do wonder how someone could overdose on this stuff. I know that they wouldn't want to take too much for fun. Anytime I've ever received amoxicillin, it has been in premeasured doses with each day written on them.

Post 2

I wonder if feeling dizzy and lightheaded would be a possible symptom of an amoxicillin overdose?

I was prescribed this when I had an infection, and after a few days felt really dizzy. This is the only thing I could think of that I had done differently.

I still had a few days left to finish the medication, but ended up taking it only for 1 more day. Now I realize I should have called my doctor about this.

Once I stopped taking the amoxicillin my dizziness did go away, so I must have had some kind of reaction to this.

Post 1

Anytime you are having some kind of strange reaction or sensation to any kind of medication, you should check with your doctor right away.

I will not accept an amoxicillin prescription because of what has happened in my family from using this medication. If I need to take an antibiotic for something, I will ask the doctor to prescribe me something besides this.

My grandpa was in the hospital recovering from pneumonia and was given some amoxicillin. I don't know if he had ever taken this before or not, but he was in the hospital when he was prescribed this, and died of complications from a severe reaction to this medication.

I know this is something that

is probably rare, but there is the possibility that this can happen. Several years after this happened, my Dad was also given a prescription for amoxicillin and began having a strange reaction.

He stopped taking it right away and called his doctor who told him the same thing and gave him something else to take. There must be something in this medication that adversely affects members of my family, and I try to stay as far away from it as possible.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously


forgot password?