Learn something new every day
More Info... by email
Let's face it: nobody likes ironing, but ironing at home can be much cheaper than paying a dry cleaner to press your clothing. Steam irons are available in a wide range of styles and prices; a cordless steam iron is the easiest and most portable to use. Now you can look your best in freshly-pressed clothes, with less of the drudgery that usually goes with ironing.
Cordless steam irons are available with many different features and options. Here are a few things to consider before making your purchase:
* Cost and durability - A cordless steam iron generally runs between $40 - $130 US Dollars (USD). Most online reviews of steam irons find that less expensive models tend to be just as durable as their more expensive counterparts, the extra cost usually buys you more advanced features. If you will spend a lot of time ironing for a big family, the extra features may pay for themselves in the long run; if you only use your iron occasionally, a lower-cost iron may be a better choice.
* Cord options - Some steam irons are truly cordless, and must be recharged by setting the iron onto a corded base to reheat periodically during ironing. Others have a detachable cord, which gives you the best of both worlds: use the cord for big items like tablecloths that require continuous heat for several minutes, or remove the cord for quick and portable use.
*Weight, size, and feel - Cordless steam irons come in different shapes and sizes. Consider how the iron feels in your hand and how easy it is for you to maneuver. Smaller sizes may be lighter in weight, but may not provide enough handle space for larger hands. Try out the display models at the store until you find the cordless steam iron that feels comfortable for you.
*Auto shut-off - This is a must-have safety feature for a cordless steam iron. If the iron remains motionless for a set amount of time, it will shut itself off to reduce the risk of accidental fire. The time varies between models, so be sure to choose a model that fits your needs. This is also an energy-saving feature if you tend to be on the forgetful side.
* Steam features - Cordless steam irons vary in the number of steam jets they have on board. Most have variable heat and steam settings so that you can customize the iron to the fabric you are ironing. If you will be using your iron to steam curtains or other hanging items, the vertical steam option is a must. Many irons also have a steam burst feature for stubborn wrinkles.
* Soleplate surface - Cordless steam iron soleplates can be made of aluminum, stainless steel, or Teflon®-coated nonstick surface for effortless gliding over fabrics. Aluminum surfaces tend to be the least expensive, with nonstick plates on the higher end. Choose a surface based on your budget and what types of fabric you will be ironing most often.
* Water reservoir - These vary in size, and the bigger the reservoir, the heavier the iron. Many irons offer transparent tanks that allow you to see when the water level is low. Some also have removable reservoirs, offering the ultimate convenience when it's time to refill.
When deciding on which cordless steam iron is perfect for you, consider what types of fabrics you will be ironing most, as well as how often you will be using your iron. You will then be able to make the best choice for your budget. It might be a stretch to imagine that any of these irons will make ironing fun, but with a little thought and preparation, choosing the right iron will make the chore a little more bearable.
One of our editors will review your suggestion and make changes if warranted. Note that depending on the number of suggestions we receive, this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Thank you for helping to improve wiseGEEK!