Category: 

What is Toxic Mold?

Black toxic mold grows in a distinctive circular pattern.
Water damage from improperly installed fixtures might cause toxic mold growth.
A respirator mask can help against health issues caused by exposure to toxic mold.
Article Details
  • Written By: Nychole Price
  • Edited By: Bronwyn Harris
  • Last Modified Date: 11 December 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
Eating and drinking can be beneficial for both colds and fevers.  more...

December 22 ,  1978 :  China began massive economic reforms.  more...

Toxic mold, also known as black mold, is a dangerous substance that can enter homes and cause illness to the family. If black mold isn't detected immediately, it can spread into the walls and other areas of the home, making it difficult to get rid of. There are several types of mold that are present in homes, but only black mold is toxic.

Areas of the house with water damage are breeding grounds for black mold. These areas include, but aren't limited to, basements, laundry rooms, bath rooms, crawl spaces, under the sink and around the windows. Any area where water has leaked, or there is a lot of moisture, can harbor toxic mold.

Inspect the walls of the house for black patches of mold. These areas would likely be located near the floor, especially if the house has once flooded or had a major spill. When the floor gets wet, toxic mold can grow on and in the drywall, often traveling upwards.

Ad

Whether or not the black mold is toxic is determined by the shape. Toxic mold grows in a circular pattern that doesn't vary unless it travels to an area where moisture isn't present. The circular pattern of black mold is present on wet, humid surfaces and dry areas that where once wet. If any of the above is present, contact a professional to inspect your home for black mold. A professional can search and test for mold to determine if it is of the toxic variety, as well as let you know what steps are necessary to remove the mold from your home.

Toxic mold can cause people to experience cold-like symptoms. These include congestion, sinus issues, tiredness and a skin rash. If the toxic mold remains in the home, these symptoms can worsen and lead to liver diseases such as necrosis and fibrosis, respiratory illnesses and pathogenic infections.

Toxic mold can be prevented by keeping your house free of excess moisture. If you experience flooding in your house by a broken pipe, water bed, tub overflow or a large spill, clean it up immediately and run fans to dry the area. Keep the humidity in your house at no more than 50 percent. This can be done by airing out your house as often as possible. Open the windows or run the bathroom fan when showering.

If you are in the process of building your house, have a mold guard applied to the wood framing before installing the drywall. The doors and windows can be weatherproofed by adding heavy duty weather stripping to the doors and windows. This will prevent mold from forming around the windowsills and doorways. It is less expensive to prevent toxic mold from growing than it is to have to remove it later.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

ZipLine
Post 5

@candyquilt-- It's difficult to say. The best way to know is to inspect the home for mold and toxic mold. If there is toxic mold in the home and if your symptoms are persistent, then it's probably because of the mold. Symptoms caused by toxic mold will not usually respond medications and will not improve if exposure to mold continues.

candyquilt
Post 4

Can toxic mold mimic seasonal allergies as well? I don't have skin allergies or fatigue, but I do have congestion, runny eyes and nose. Could it be a reaction to toxic mold?

literally45
Post 3

There are also mold proof paints that can be used on the walls. These contain a substance that prevent mold from attaching and growing. There are also certain mold cleaners that prevent mold from returning.

If black mold is not caught early on and if it spreads, it can be difficult to get rid of. The issue is not just cleaning it and removing it from the surface. As the mold is removed, it releases spores into air and can make the person cleaning the mold very sick. So it's best to let a professional deal with it. No one should be around black mold without a proper mask and gloves as well. The area should be ventilated.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email