@andee – I had a friend who was injured in the same way. Suddenly, he was in even more danger than before because of his lost sensations below his waist.
He often fell asleep in his wheelchair by the heater. One night, he dozed off with a blanket over his legs. He was too close to the heat, and the blanket caught fire.
He didn't even realize he was burning until the flames reached his torso. By then, his lower body was charred. He screamed, and his wife was able to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher.
Sadly, he died a few days later at the hospital. The fire had done too much damage. If he had been able to feel the heat when it started, he could have put it out in time.