Most of the recipes on the internet are way more complex than need be.
1. Take a jug of milk and remove 1/2 cup milk from it.
2. Put about 2 tbs of sour cream inside of the jug.
3. Let it sit on the counter, unrefrigerated for a couple of days.
4. Remove lid from jug, place jug in a large pot of water with enough water to reach at least half way up the jug. Bring water to boil, let it boil for about 20 minutes.
5. Carefully slosh the jug around to mix it a bit.
6. Pour contents into a cheese cloth-lined colander and let it sit for a couple of hours.
The only dirty dish is the colander. Store the cheese in an airtight container in the fridge and it keeps about a week.
It's really tasty stuff.