Learn something new every day
More Info... by email
Disinfecting spray is a household cleaning product that removes bacteria and germs from surfaces. It is particularly helpful in cleaning of bathrooms and kitchens where germs are most likely to be found. Families and businesses alike have found the product useful in preventing the spread of illnesses.
After its introduction in the late 1990s, disinfecting spray quickly rose in popularity. Day cares, schools, and businesses alike found them a useful tool in fighting sicknesses. They are commonly used on public phones, doorknobs, and computers in workplaces to avoid the spread of sicknesses.
Disinfecting sprays claim to remove many types of harmful microorganisms. Germs such as rhinovirus, streptococcus, hepatitis A, rotavirus, fungus, and listeria have a difficult time surviving when the sprays are used according to direction. Bacteria like Excherichia coli (E. coli), salmonella, and staphylococcus (staph) and viruses like influenza and herpes can also be killed by disinfecting spray. Some brands are even able to stop the spread of mold and mildew.
In order for the product to work, most brands of disinfecting spray require a waiting and drying period. The product is sprayed onto the surface to be cleaned and is left wet. The average waiting period is ten minutes before the product is dry and the area is considered disinfected.
These cleaning sprays are not intended for use as general room deodorizers. They are not to be inhaled more than through regular usage. They are considered safe around pets as long as caution is made to avoid prolonged exposure to inhaling. There are disinfecting room sprays intended specifically to remove odors. Consumers should always read labels carefully to ensure they are using the appropriate product for their needs.
Disinfecting spray is intended for use on hard, nonporous surfaces. Some sprays are not recommended for use on food preparation areas. Other manufacturers advise users to rinse food preparation areas clean after disinfecting. In all cases, it is important to read the manufacturers instructions and precautions, as these differ between products.
There are several major manufacturers of consumer grade disinfecting spray. It comes in a wide range of canister sizes and scents. Scents are customized to appeal to particular rooms in a house or seasons of the year.
It is possible for consumers to create their own disinfectant spray. A test run by food scientists at Virginia Polytechnic Institute found that homemade spray could work just as well. They used two spray bottles, one with 3% hydrogen peroxide, the other with white vinegar. Spray one, then the other and wipe. Vinegar works as a deodorizer while hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant.
@rundocuri- I have found that floral scented disinfecting spray is most likely to cause allergies and sinuses to act up. The regular scented kind is much less irritating, in my opinion.
I like to take a bottle of disinfecting spray with me when I stay in hotels. I spray it throughout my room, just to be on the safe side. You never know what germs are lurking, so disinfecting spray is great to carry with you whenever you are staying away from home.
An important thing to remember when you spray disinfectant in a small area like a hotel room is to ventilate it as much as possible. If the room you are staying in doesn't have an open window, it might be a good idea to leave your room for a while after you spray it. The smell can be overpowering, and bad for people with allergies and sinus problems.
One of our editors will review your suggestion and make changes if warranted. Note that depending on the number of suggestions we receive, this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Thank you for helping to improve wiseGEEK!