Since carbon monoxide is odorless and can be deadly, it is important to have your furnace checked and cleaned routinely.
Most furnace maintenance companies recommend a cleaning once a year.
Standard testing can reveal cracks and leaks that could lead to increased carbon monoxide levels in your home.
If a problem is found, the technician will measure the carbon monoxide level in your home.
If it is at a dangerous level, your furnace may need to be turned off, repaired or replaced immediately, and you may be required to leave your home until the readings return to normal.
It may be an inconvenience, but it could also save the lives of you and your family.