Category: 

What Is Caffeine Poisoning?

Energy drinks contain significant levels of caffeine.
Confusion is one symptom of a caffeine overdose.
Drinking the amount of caffeine in six cups of coffee could be dangerous.
Charcoal tablets should be taken to absorb harmful agents.
Patients are often given intravenous fluids to help counteract caffeine poisoning.
Article Details
  • Written By: D. Jeffress
  • Edited By: Jenn Walker
  • Last Modified Date: 05 August 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
A camel can drink 30 gallons (135 liters) of water in under 15 minutes.  more...

August 21 ,  1959 :  Hawaii became the 50th state to enter the Union.  more...

Caffeine poisoning can occur when a person consumes a dangerous level of the drug in the form of coffee, soft drinks, energy drinks, chocolate, or medications. Caffeine is a stimulant that increases activity in the central nervous system and dilates blood vessels in the body. In small doses, it can provide a positive, temporary increase in alertness. Overdosing on the substance, however, may result in headaches, tremors, confusion, and other negative side effects. Seizures, coma, and even death can occur in severe cases of caffeine poisoning.

There is not a precise, universal amount of caffeine that is toxic to everybody. A person's age, weight, health, and history with the substance are all factors in determining just when the effects of caffeine poisoning might take place. Consuming more than 500 milligrams of caffeine, approximately the amount found in six cups of coffee, is considered to be dangerous for most adults. Children and infants can develop symptoms of caffeine poisoning at much lower doses. It is generally believed that taking more than 10 grams of caffeine in a short period of time will more than likely be fatal.

Ad

The first symptoms of caffeine poisoning may include lightheadedness, anxiety, and an increased heart rate. A person may have gastrointestinal problems as well, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If more caffeine is introduced into the body, an individual can develop chest pains, mental confusion, hand and leg tremors, and heart palpitations. It is possible to have a seizure or slip into a coma when the body becomes overwhelmed with the stimulant.

If a person shows signs of caffeine poisoning, it is vital to seek emergency medical care. Paramedics or emergency room personnel can assess breathing, heart rate, and brain activity and provide the appropriate treatment to stabilize vital signs. Patients are often given intravenous fluids and charcoal tablets to counter the toxicity of caffeine in their systems. A stomach pump may be necessary to remove large amounts of liquid. Additional medications and clinical techniques may be necessary to lower heart rate and prevent seizures.

Caffeine poisoning is almost always preventable. A person should take note of just how much caffeine he or she is consuming when drinking coffee, tea, soda, or energy drinks to avoid an overdose. It is important to follow dosing instructions carefully on over-the-counter and prescription drugs that contain caffeine. Finally, chocolates and pills should be kept out of the reach of young children and infants at all times.

Ad

Discuss this Article

SarahGen
Post 3

@simrin-- Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others and experience jitters and anxiety from just a cup of coffee. Other people can handle more. Unless you also develop other poisoning symptoms like vomiting and heart pain, I doubt that only a cup of coffee will cause caffeine poisoning.

I think the main risk of poisoning comes from caffeine supplements because the dose may not be well regulated and people may take too much. In fact, there was a man who died from caffeine poisoning a few years ago because he took too many caffeine supplements. It was in the news.

SteamLouis
Post 2

I have anxiety and heart palpitations from just one cup of regular coffee. I don't think I can be poisoned from such a small amount right?

serenesurface
Post 1

I can't believe that it's possible to be poisoned from caffeine. I wonder how many Americans suffer from caffeine poisoning every year because we consume a lot of it.

Most of us drink coffee or tea and caffeinated soda. And now it's also found in energy drinks like the article said, and in supplements. I think the younger generation is at a higher risk of poisoning. My son is studying law and during finals, he literally lives on energy drinks and coffee. I have to warn him about this.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email