Category: 

What is Black Mold?

Black mold can cause an allergic reaction that has watery eyes as a symptom.
Black mold may begin as mildew and then worsen if it's not properly removed.
Sneezing is a common allergic reaction to black mold.
Headaches can be a symptom of mold toxicity.
Article Details
  • Written By: Karyn Maier
  • Edited By: Jay Garcia
  • Last Modified Date: 02 July 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
The average age of a NASA engineer at the time of the Apollo missions was 28, now the average age is 47.  more...

July 29 ,  1976 :  The "Son of Sam" killed for the first time, beginning a long reign of terror on New   more...

Mold belongs to the fungi kingdom that consists of more than one million species. These organisms are saprophytic, meaning that they depend on the breakdown of organic material in order to thrive. Black mold, commonly known as mildew, is a blackish-green belonging to the Stachybotrys family, specifically the fungus S. chartarum. Other words and phrases that have become synonymous with black mold are toxic mold and sick building syndrome.

For black mold to develop in residential homes or commercial buildings, certain conditions must be present. First and foremost, there must be sufficient moisture present. In fact, black mold most often starts in buildings where water damage has occurred, either from flooding, leaky plumbing, or even excessive condensation. Secondly, since mold needs organic matter to feed off of, any material present that contains carbon can provide a surface for mold to grow on. Indoor materials that can support mold include leather, wallpaper, carpeting, wood, insulation, and sheetrock.

This material is also self-replicating. What is actually visible as a moldy film on a surface is the mycelium, or the main body of the fungus. This forms when the filamentous cells of the fungus called the hyphae produce enzymes to decompose neighboring organic material, the organism’s primary source of nutrition. Eventually, these hyphael cells form spores, which are released to germinate and further the spread of the mold. These spores are extremely resilient and can lie dormant for years before germinating.

Ad

Overgrowth of black mold can comprise the air quality of an indoor space rather quickly. For one thing, this substance produces volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are responsible for producing the musty smell commonly associated with moldy areas. It may also produce an opportunistic infection in those who already have a compromised immune system that wouldn’t ordinarily occur in a healthy person. Individuals that may become infected include HIV/AIDS patients, organ transplant recipients, or those undergoing chemotherapy. Black mold is also linked to causing or elevating allergies, asthma, and sinusitis.

Symptoms of mold toxicity vary between individuals. However, symptoms of central nervous system suppression are commonly reported, such as headaches, difficulty concentrating, and light-headedness. In addition, allergy-driven responses are also common, including sneezing, watery eyes, coughing, and throat irritation.

Mold removal can be a long and physically intensive endeavor, but it is not impossible to accomplish. However, it is essential that anyone at high risk from negative health consequences from mold exposure be evacuated from the site prior to initiating the clean up process. In addition, anyone involved in mold remediation should wear protective clothing and related eye and respiratory gear. All moldy materials must be removed from the premises and contained until it can be properly disposed of. Once problem areas have been improved, it is essential to address moisture problems in the environment to prevent future contamination.

Ad

Discuss this Article

Sunny27
Post 2

BrickBack- I think that if you are buying a house that has black mold spores you really have to consider how worth it is to buy that house.

For me personally, I would rather find another home that does not have that problem because just because a seller says they will have it fixed does not mean that the job will be adequate to your standards.

Also you have to consider how did the water damage occur? If the area is a low lying area subject to flooding then you may want to consider a different area that is on higher ground. The idea of a black mold house really scares me as well as most buyers.

BrickBack
Post 1

Household black mold is not only dangerous to your health but it could be costly to repair. Killing black mold requires a mold remediation expert that will carefully remove the toxic mold from your home.

Depending on the size of your home, mold remediation can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 depending on the extent of the damage and how long the home as been infested with mold.

If you start experiencing a lot of upper respiratory problems you could have household black mold.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email