Category: 

What Are the Signs of a Risperidone Overdose?

Article Details
  • Written By: A. Gamm
  • Edited By: Kaci Lane Hindman
  • Last Modified Date: 22 July 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
The country of Monaco is about the same size as New York’s Central Park.  more...

July 22 ,  1991 :  Cannibal and serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested.  more...

Risperidone is a medication typically prescribed to treat conditions such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and autism symptoms. An overdose amount varies according to the size of a person, how long he or she has taken the medication, and what other medications he or she has been using. The most common signs of a Risperidone overdose include fatigue sedation, coma, rapid heartbeat, muscle convulsion, seizures and even death.

The most common signs of an overdose include drowsiness, lethargy, hypotension or lowered blood pressure, shaky or jerky body movements, convulsion, and tachycardia or rapid heartbeat. These signs may take effect as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion, depending on the body’s metabolism. Most of these signs of a Risperidone overdose vary in severity, but health care professionals generally agree that even the mildest of overdose symptoms be taken seriously.

While an overdose may occur at varying dosages, those typically reported have been between 20 and 360 milligrams. At these levels, no known deaths have been reported as of 2011. Usually, the signs of a Risperidone overdose are only stronger versions of some of the normal side effects. These signs include lethargy, sedation, tremors, mild hypotension and mild tachycardia. People who have been taking other drugs, such as Clozapine and Paroxetine, or who have been drinking alcohol are more likely to experience an overdose with a lesser amount of Risperidone.

Ad

Some of the more serious signs of a Risperidone overdose consist of seizures, coma, hypokalemia, hyponatremia, long QT intervals or longer amount of time for the heart to recharge between beats, ventricle tachycardia or a very rapid heartbeat, and uncontrollable movement of the neck, eyes, jaw or tongue. Although rare, some of these signs of a Riperidone overdose may lead to death. Typically, such signs only occur when a large overdose of higher than 300 milligrams is taken.

Treating Risperidone overdose usually depends on the time when the medication was taken. During a normal procedure, a doctor may ensure that airways are clear to allow for easier breathing. If the overdose occurred before it could be fully ingested then a medical professional may try to pump the stomach using either drugs or tubes. When treating an overdose after a longer period of time, the course of action is typically to minimize the side effects of the overdose through medicinal care. This usually includes measures to keep the heart rate steady as well as the use of intravenous fluids.

Ad

Discuss this Article

bear78
Post 3

Are hallucinations a sign of Risperidone overdose?

fBoyle
Post 2
@anamur-- You may be right, but many people who take Risperidone usually also take other medications or they may drink alcohol. Like the article said, when there are other medications or alcohol involved, it doesn't take much to overdose.

I had this happen to me. I was already on Risperidone prescribed by one doctor and then I saw a different doctor who prescribed another medication. I forgot to mention that I was already taking Risperidone and I took them together.

An hour later, I started experiencing twitching and dizziness. I went to the hospital and they told me that my blood pressure is too low and treated me for an overdose.

So it's definitely possible to overdose on Risperidone at low doses and it's important to seek help when there are unfamiliar symptoms.

serenesurface
Post 1

I doubt that anyone who takes Risperidone regularly would want to overdose on it. It has a lot of side effects, even at low doses. That has been my experience anyway.

The lowest dose is 1mg and I've taken 2mg and 3mg in the past. But the medication is so strong that even at these doses, it would cause severe fatigue, sleepiness and changes in my heartbeat.

Plus, the maximum dose I've heard anyone take is 6mg and that's a long way from an overdose.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email