Category: 

What Are the Signs of a Dextromethorphan Overdose?

Article Details
  • Written By: C.B. Fox
  • Edited By: Susan Barwick
  • Last Modified Date: 27 November 2016
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2016
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
Snake charmers get snakes to “dance” because of the movement of their flute-like instruments, not their music.  more...

December 4 ,  1945 :  The United States Senate approved of US participation in the United Nations.  more...

A dextromethorphan overdose is a potentially serious situation. Prompt medical attention should be sought if it is suspected that there has been an overdose, even if symptoms, such as changes in consciousness, cardiopulmonary activity, or uncontrolled muscular contractions, are not yet present. The more quickly a person is brought in for treatment, the better his or her chances of survival and of complete recovery with no lingering effects.

One of the most serious signs of a dextromethorphan overdose is the loss of consciousness. If a person loses consciousness after taking too much of this medication, paramedics should be alerted so that the person can be put on life support as soon as possible and brought to a hospital. It is possible for a person to experience respiratory distress while unconscious, which can lead to death. The heart can also stop beating as a result of a dextromethorphan overdose, and this can happen while a person is unconscious or as a precursor to a loss of consciousness. The unconscious person should be monitored for signs of respiratory distress, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) should be given as needed.

Aside from these extremely serious symptoms, there are a number of other symptoms that could indicate a dextromethorphan overdose. Psychological effects such as confusion, drowsiness, or hallucinations are not uncommon. A person may also become dizzy and disoriented and may have difficulty focusing either because of the disorientation or because of blurred vision.

Ad

Cardiopulmonary symptoms are also common with a dextromethorphan overdose. While in extreme cases, this may mean that the person stops breathing altogether or that the heart ceases to beat, there are a number of other symptoms that are less noticeable that can indicate distress. The breathing may slow or become labored, and the fingers and fingernails may take on a bluish tint, which is more noticeable in people with fair skin. This bluish tint is an indicator that not enough oxygen is reaching the extremities. The heart may also beat very quickly, the blood pressure may either rise or fall, and the person may run a fever.

Uncontrolled muscle movements are also a common feature of a dextromethorphan overdose. These can occur all over the body and may appear as small muscular twitches or as full-body convulsions. Internally, the rapid contraction of muscles can cause spasms in the digestive tract, causing a great deal of pain and discomfort and resulting in vomiting.

Ad

You might also Like

Recommended

Discuss this Article

donasmrs
Post 3

I'm taking dextromethorphan extended release because I have a serious cold. It works as a cough suppressant. But I think I forgot that I had taken my dose for the night and took another one. I feel a little drowsy but that's it. Should I be worried?

burcidi
Post 2

@anamur-- That is so dangerous! Never do that again!

My neighbor's son developed liver failure after a dextromethorphan overdose. Dextromethorphan abuse is very dangerous and by the time symptoms show up, it can be too late. You can die or you can ruin your liver.

Pain and hallucinations are signs of an overdose and require medical attention. You took a huge risk by waiting it out.

serenesurface
Post 1

I overdosed on dextromethorphan one time. My friends told me to try it when I'm stressed to make myself feel better. But I took too many and began to hallucinate. It was scary!

I also had stomach cramps and a migraine. It felt like I had developed a stomach ulcer, it was very painful. The migraine felt like someone was stabbing me in the head.

It took a few days for me to feel completely better again.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email