Category: 

What Are the Risks of Combining Paracetamol and Alcohol?

Article Details
  • Written By: J.E. Holloway
  • Edited By: M. C. Hughes
  • Last Modified Date: 14 November 2016
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2016
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
A recent study suggests that former acne sufferers are more likely to retain a youthful appearance as they age.  more...

December 9 ,  1979 :  The eradication of smallpox was certified.  more...

Paracetamol, known in the United States as acetaminophen, is an analgesic and antipyretic drug commonly used to treat pain, headaches and fever. It is widely available over the counter, either by itself or as a component in cold and flu remedies. Like many medications, taking too much paracetamol can be very dangerous. In many countries, sales of paracetamol are limited in order to counteract the risk of paracetamol overdose. The dangers of paracetamol overdose are widely believed to be exacerbated by some combinations of paracetamol and alcohol, but medical evidence does not appear to support this claim.

The danger posed by paracetamol is paracetamol toxicity, which can cause severe liver damage. When the human body metabolizes paracetamol, it produces N-acetyl-p-benzoquinoneimine or NAPQI, a toxin capable of destroying liver cells and depleting the liver's natural level of glutathione, an antioxidant. However, this toxin is normally only produced in small amounts. When an individual overdoses on paracetamol, more NAPQI is produced than the liver can detoxify, resulting in abdominal pain, nausea and eventually even death. If paracetamol toxicity is identified early, it can be treated, but if it goes unnoticed the risks are very great.

Ad

Many people believe that taking paracetamol while drinking can cause liver damage. In fact, taking paracetamol within the recommended dosage while drinking does not increase the risk of toxicity. Even combining alcohol with a paracetamol overdose does not appear to increase the risk of serious harm, although the risk of paracetamol toxicity from the overdose remains serious.

Some doctors have suggested, based on tests conducted on animals, that paracetamol toxicity can be exacerbated by chronic excessive alcohol consumption. According to this theory, chronic alcohol abuse produces large quantities of the enzyme CYP2E1, which helps the production of toxins from paracetamol. Despite the fact that this belief is widespread, the evidence for it is ambiguous.

Articles published in the medical journals Critical Care, Drug Safety and the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology have argued that despite some evidence that long-term alcohol abuse increases paracetamol toxicity, there is no evidence that the combination of paracetamol and alcohol increases the danger of toxicity in humans. The liver damage observed in chronic alcohol abusers who had taken paracetamol overdoses was also observed in those who did not consume excessive alcohol. Therefore, despite the widespread belief that paracetamol and alcohol have negative interactions, the clinical evidence to substantiate this belief appears to be lacking.

Ad

You might also Like

Recommended

Discuss this Article

bluedolphin
Post 3

I was on paracetamol for a sprained knee last month. I did drink a few times while I was on it, but I was taking less than the maximum dose allowed and I didn't drink too much. So I didn't have any problems.

I think it's also a good idea to wait a few hours in between the two and it's a good idea to take them on a full stomach. Paracetamol and alcohol can both be hard on the stomach. So the chances of getting sick from the alcohol while on paracetamol is higher.

SarahGen
Post 2

@alisha-- I'm not sure about alcohol's effects on the liver when taken with paracetamol. I think that the liver might process the alcohol first because alcohol is viewed as a toxin by the body. So the liver starts processing it right away to get it out of the system as soon as possible.

It will eventually process the paracetamol too but it might take a while. And it's possible that the paracetamol won't work as well as it should.

The main issue here is that there is a double load placed on the liver when paracetamol and alcohol are combined. The way I see it, we only have one liver, so why put so much pressure on it?

discographer
Post 1

I don't think that combining paracetamol and alcohol is very dangerous. But doesn't alcohol make paracetamol ineffective when they're taken together?

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email