Category: 

What Are the Different Types of Antidotes for Poisoning?

A cobra, a type of venomous snake.
Most antidotes for poisoning are administered through an intravenous drip to provide treatment quickly and effectively.
Some medications may be taken to induce vomiting in order to rid the body of toxins from poisoning.
Article Details
  • Written By: Patti Kate
  • Edited By: W. Everett
  • Last Modified Date: 12 September 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
Oprah Winfrey’s intended name was Orpah, but it was misspelled on her birth certificate.  more...

September 23 ,  1949 :  US President Harry S. Truman publicly announced the US had lost its monopoly on nuclear weapons.  more...

Antidotes for poisoning may vary depending on the type of poison involved. A common antidote for poisoning is acetylcysteine, often used for acetaminophen poisoning. A patient who has suffered smoke inhalation may be given an antidote of hydroxocobalamin. This drug is also suitable for victims of cyanide poisoning. Most antidotes are administered through an intravenous (IV) drip or an oral solution.

One of the most widely used antidotes for poisoning is syrup of ipecac. An alternate name for this syrup is Brazil root. This antidote may be used for various types of non-caustic poisoning. This antidote should be administered only to fully conscious individuals.

The chemicals in syrup of ipecac will induce vomiting, typically within a short period of time. Proper dosing should be followed according to directions. People who are allergic to emetine and cephaeline should not use syrup of ipecac.

For many types of snake bites, an antivenin must be administered, either through an IV or orally. Before administering the antivenin, the physician will need to positively identify the species of snake that has bitten the patient. Common types of antivenin solutions are crotalidae and elapidae. The antidote for a black widow spider bite is calcium gluconate or latrodectus antivenin. Bites from non poisonous spiders will not require an antivenin, although medications may be used to reduce pain and inflammation.

Ad

Not all antidotes for poisoning are given in chemical form. A procedure known as gastric lavage involves pumping the stomach to rid the body of toxic substances. This is an irrigation method in which a small tube is placed down to the stomach via the mouth, or occasionally through the nose. Suctioning may also be performed under certain circumstances, to reduce the risk of aspiration from vomiting.

As one of the most effective antidotes for poisoning, many hospital emergency room physicians use activated charcoal. This is typically given after the procedure of gastric lavage. The activated charcoal is a non toxic substance that aids in the absorption of poisons from the stomach and intestinal tract. Activated charcoal in bottles and tubes may be available for purchase at medical supply stores.

Before administering any of the antidotes for poisoning, it is vital to identify the toxic substance to which the patient has been exposed. People who have ingested caustic substances should never be given an antidote to induce vomiting, as this could cause serious damage to the person's throat, esophagus, or mouth.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

turquoise
Post 3

My dog swallowed rat poison a few days ago at my grandparent's house. They had placed one of those rat kill products that hide the poison inside food like peanut butter. And my dog got into some in the attic.

I took her to the vet right away and the vet first gave her a little bit hydrogen peroxide to get her to vomit. Thankfully she did vomit and we could identify the peanut butter. Then she was given a vitamin K injection. She's home now and a little tired but seems okay. She's still getting vitamin K supplements everyday. We have to visit a bigger veterinary clinic next week though to make sure that she has recovered and hasn't suffered from permanent damage to her blood.

My vet said that if I hadn't noticed the situation immediately and hadn't taken her to the clinic, my dog would have probably died. I wanted to share this information here but I hope no one tries to do this treatment on their own. Because the doctor knows exactly how much vitamin K is necessary and too much hydrogen peroxide can also be bad.

burcidi
Post 2

@donasmrs-- That depends on what medication the person has poisoning from. Sometimes, a medicine with the opposite effect is the antidote, but this doesn't always apply.

My friend's six year old son was poisoned a couple of years ago. He took her high blood pressure tablets thinking that they were candy. When he was taken to the hospital, he was administered a blood pressure raising drug because his blood pressure was going down too low. But before they did this, they did a gastric lavage. I guess he had already absorbed most of the medication into his bloodstream, that's why the antidote was necessary.

donasmrs
Post 1

What if someone is poisoned from medication? Would a medicine that has the opposite effect have to be given as an antidote?

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email