I think that mold is one of the biggest issues with a damp basement. A relative of mine got very sick because of black mold. This is the worst type of mold and can cause severe allergies and respiratory issues. If I'm not wrong, I think it can even be deadly with severe and prolonged exposure. Like the article said, it can be difficult for people to detect, especially if they don't know what they're looking for. And the symptoms is causes are similar to asthma or seasonal allergies.
If anyone has these symptoms and has a damp basement, they need to check for mold or a professional must do it for them. It's a good idea to get help from a professional. No one should inspect a damp basement without some kind of protective equipment like a mask. Breathing in black mold spores is dangerous.