I agree with the first paragraph of this article where it talks about plantain leaves and the way they can be used to treat bites. Where I grew up, there were a large number of snakes, and there were many varieties of them. We played in the woods and by the creeks, ponds and the river, so we came in contact with snakes almost daily.
Most of the snakes were not poisonous. They didn't have any deadly venom. However, what you might not know is that any type of snake bite can be dangerous. Even when the snakes were not venomous, their bites could make you pretty sick.
When one of us would get a snake bite, my grandmother would put tobacco and plantain leaves on the skin where the bite had occurred. This was supposed to suck out the snake saliva and help the wound heal quicker and with less skin irritation.