Category: 

How Do I Treat Dog Bee Stings?

If a dog experiences breathing problems, diarrhea, or vomiting after being stung by a bee, they should be taken to a veterinarian.
Manuka honey, which is secreted by bees that feed on the manuka bush, may be used to treat bee stings.
Hydrocortisone cream can be used to dogs relieve the itching and irritation caused by insect stings and bites.
Applying an ice pack may help relieve swelling around a bee sting.
Article Details
  • Written By: S. Crawford
  • Edited By: C. Wilborn
  • Images By: Gabriel Blaj, Pasi Välkkynen, Carroteater, Pixelrobot
  • Last Modified Date: 11 October 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
Dolphins have the most teeth of any mammal, sometimes over 260, yet they almost never chew their food.  more...

October 20 ,  1973 :  The "Saturday Night Massacre"  more...

Treating dog bee stings quickly is vital for fast healing without complications. The fast removal of the stinger is necessary to disrupt the flow of poison to the dog. The stinger can usually be removed by using a credit card or fingernail to scrape along the dog’s skin. To reduce the swelling of dog bee stings, apply an ice pack for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. A poultice made of baking soda and water can be applied to the area to soothe the dog’s skin and promote healing.

Sometimes an application of milk of magnesia will reduce itching from the sting. Hydrocortisone cream with aloe vera may also help to ease the pain and irritation. A paste of meat tenderizer and water applied to the area can help to break down the poison and reduce the amount of venom the dog is exposed to. An herbal preparation of lemon balm can be applied to the affected area to soothe irritation. You can also apply manuka honey to the bee sting, since it has antibacterial properties and helps to alleviate skin irritations.

Some symptoms can signal an immediate need to see a veterinarian. Severe symptoms include breathing problems, collapse, diarrhea, and vomiting. If you see any of these symptoms, it is critical to get veterinary attention quickly to prevent further injury. In the veterinary setting, treatment is focused on hydrating the dog, shock prevention, and protection of the dog’s vital organs.

Ad

Quick treatment of dog bee stings is necessary because dogs can be allergic to bee poison. Delayed treatment can allow more of the bee’s venom to enter the dog’s blood stream. If the dog seems to be having trouble breathing after a bee sting, you shold transport him to an emergency animal hospital immediately since this can indicate an allergic reaction. A few drops of Benadryl® added to a food treat and given to the dog may help to reduce the effects of the bee venom.

If the dog suffers bee stings after disturbing a hive, he is likely to have multiple stings. It is important to remember that bees are territorial and will aggressively swarm any intruders who disturb the hive. To prevent dog bee stings, make sure to steer your dog clear of any beehives. For multiple bee stings, consult a veterinarian immediately since a massive dose of bee venom could cause shock and organ damage to the dog. Without proper treatment, dog bee stings can be deadly.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

CopperPipe
Post 4

Thank you so much for this information -- my dog, in his doggy brilliance, found a fallen bees nest the other day and decided to bite it. Maybe he thought it looked like a ball, I don't know.

Anyway, the bees swarmed out and stung him all over, and he's just been miserable since, so I am definitely going to try some of the treatments you mentioned.

Gives you a whole new take on "when the dog bites, when the bee stings", right?

lightning88
Post 3

Is it possible for a dog to have allergies associated with bee stings? I know humans can have bee sting allergies, but I wasn't sure about dogs. Do dogs ever have bee sting allergies?

musicshaman
Post 2

One of those one in a million chances -- my dog was outside the other day doing his business, and apparently a honey be got adventurous and stung him under his tail. That wouldn't have been so terrible, except that it got stuck when he jumped from the pain and pulled his tail in, so the bee just kept stinging him over and over.

He kept running around the yard like crazy, yowling, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I finally caught him and noticed the bee sticking halfway out from under his tail.

So there I was trying to wrestle this scratching dog so I could yank on his tail and get the stupid bee out, while my dog is going crazy and the bee is still stinging --

Needless to say, it was a traumatic event for everybody involved.

anon53928
Post 1

thank you for the helpful information.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email