Category: 

How Do I Treat a Vitamin A Overdose?

Vitamin A toxicity cannot be caused by eating too many carrots.
Some animal livers, including those of polar bears, contain extremely high levels of vitamin A.
Intravenous fluids may be part of a treatment for a vitamin A overdose.
A vitamin A overdose can cause insomnia.
Article Details
  • Written By: Cate Gee
  • Edited By: Angela B.
  • Last Modified Date: 14 October 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
The CDC reported that eight foods, including peanuts and milk, account for 90% of food allergies.  more...

October 25 ,  1971 :  The United Nations expelled Taiwan and admitted China.  more...

Vitamin A overdose can occur if a person consumes at least twice the recommended daily dosage of vitamin A for a significant and sustained period of time. Overdose can also occur if an extremely high dose is consumed over a short span of time. The best way to treat this potentially serious overdose is to stop taking vitamin A supplements, which helps the body to clear itself of the toxicity over time, and to contact your doctor or a poison control center. Severe cases may require treatment with intravenous fluids.

Symptoms of a vitamin A overdose can include nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea, joint pain, insomnia or trouble sleeping, confusion, loss of appetite, and headache. If the vomiting and diarrhea trigger dehydration, intravenous fluids will also be needed to help the body recover. A doctor may also prescribe medication to help the body shed the toxicity more quickly.

Left unchecked, excessive consumption of A vitamins may cause skin dryness and hair loss, liver function loss, hypertension, and brittle bones or arrested bone growth. Pregnant women are advised to closely monitor their intake of vitamin A, because large doses have been linked to birth defects. One of the most telling signs of a vitamin A overdose is yellow or orange skin, which results when there is too much of the vitamin in the body to be absorbed or metabolized efficiently.

Ad

While it is typically difficult to ingest enough vitamin A to cause vitamin poisoning, athletes with specialized dietary regimens and people with anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders may be more at risk. If you are concerned that you or someone else is at risk for vitamin A overdose, visit a doctor to rule out other possible diagnoses. A doctor can determine if your level of toxicity is too high and will recommend a course of treatment that likely includes reducing your vitamin A intake.

The vitamin A family includes a large class of fat-soluble vitamins, including retinol. It occurs most commonly in natural sources such as orange fruits and vegetables, especially carrots, and in animal sources such as fish oil. Because it can contribute to healthy functioning of the body, it is considered an essential nutrient and is included in many dietary supplements. It is so common in a healthy diet that many people easily exceed the recommended daily dosage, but few people will consume enough to cause an overdose. There have been rare reports of vitamin A overdose from people eating animal livers — including polar bear, seal, and walrus liver — that contain extremely high doses of the vitamin.

Vitamins in the A family are sometimes prescribed — often in levels above the recommended daily allowance — to promote healthier skin or teeth. Vitamin A also is a key ingredient in some acne medications, though dermatologists prescribing medications containing vitamin A are typically careful to monitor the patient for signs of overdose. The vitamin also has been linked to healthy eye function, and doctors may recommend that people whose diets lack sufficient qualities of fat-dissolved oils take a vitamin A supplement to strengthen their eyesight, particularly night vision; this is particularly true of people following a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

ddljohn
Post 3

@ZipLine- If you suspect having overdosed on vitamin A, stop taking the supplements immediately. Remember that vitamin A is fat soluble. It is stored in your body, you don't need to take vitamin A everyday for this reason. Stop the supplements and see your doctor.

discographer
Post 2

@ZipLine-- You're right that vitamin A is commonly used in the treatment of acne. But please don't take more than the daily recommended dose and take a break from the vitamin every now and then to prevent overdose or toxicity.

Vitamin A overdose is called hypervitaminosis A. This is when the amount of vitamin A in your body starts to have toxic effects. If you're experiencing vitamin A toxicity, you might have nausea, headaches, vision problems, drowsiness, mood changes, hair loss and changes in your skin, hair and scalp. Like the article mentioned, vitamin A overdose will also affect how other vitamins and minerals behave in the body. For example, it may affect the function of calcium causing problems with your bones.

ZipLine
Post 1

I'm taking high doses of vitamin A for acne. I know that many acne sufferers use vitamin A for this purpose. A popular acne medication is just a version of vitamin A. The supplements have helped me greatly and my acne has mostly cleared up thanks to it. But I'm worried about vitamin A overdose. I know that I am taking more than the recommended amount but I don't think that I get much vitamin A from food. Moreover, lower doses don't help my acne.

Has anyone here overdosed on vitamin A while using it for acne? Should I stop taking vitamin A completely if I have vitamin A overdose symptoms or should I just reduce the dose?

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email