Learn something new every day
More Info... by email
Gratin Dauphinois can be made with just a few ingredients. It’s a potato side dish that originates in Dauphine, in the Rhone-Alps region of France. The dish is also called Gratin Dauphinois and sometimes Au Gratin Potatoes. This dish is also commonly referred to as Scalloped Potatoes, but it was originally made with sea scallops. Gratin Dauphinois is traditionally made with creme fraiche — a heavy, slightly soured cream.
In French cooking, au gratin describes thinly sliced ingredients layered in a cream sauce. Au gratins are broiled or baked and are served in their baking dish. Some cooks debate the addition of cheese to Gratin Dauphinois, while others hold that Gruyere cheese should be used in the dish. Here's the basic method of making Gratin Dauphinois with Gruyere cheese:
1. Peel 3 medium potatoes and slice into rounds that are not too thick.
2. Grate 2 - 3 ounces (56.7 - 85.1 g) Gruyere cheese.
3. Whisk together 2 cups of cream and 2 eggs.
4. Place half the potatoes into a greased casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle the potatoes in the dish with garlic, salt and pepper and half the cheese.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5.
7. Pour the cream and egg mixture over the potatoes.
8. Bake at 350° degrees Fahrenheit (176.7° C) until the potatoes are cooked through.
Some cooks like to add a pinch of nutmeg to each layer. The top of the Gratin Dauphinois can be garnished with chopped fresh chives to add color and extra flavor. Some people like to add chopped white onions instead of, or in addition to, the cheese in Gratin Dauphinois, but that is not customary. The recipe can be doubled or even tripled to serve at a large gathering. Many people like to omit the cheese since Gratin Dauphinois is usually served as a side dish to chicken or meat anyway. If so, the protein from the Gruyere is not necessary.
Yukon gold potatoes are great for this dish. They are creamy and i like to boil them in their skin.
One of our editors will review your suggestion and make changes if warranted. Note that depending on the number of suggestions we receive, this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Thank you for helping to improve wiseGEEK!