I remember using the white craft glue in elementary school. It was fine for gluing construction paper. We used to play with it, though. It was always fun to peel the dried glue off the bottle, and we would spread it on our fingers and let it dry, then peel it off and look at our fingerprints in the dried glue. Kids.
One kid in my first grade class had to be sent to the nurse because he had the jar paste and he actually ate it! I'd heard of kids eating paste, but he was the only one I've seen actually do it. He said it tasted awful. Fortunately, it was non-toxic, although I think he said it made him nauseated.