Category: 

How Do I Choose a Fine Cognac?

Article Details
  • Written By: S. McCumber
  • Edited By: Angela B.
  • Last Modified Date: 24 September 2016
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2016
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
People tend to blink less frequently when they are lying; they blink faster than normal after the lie.  more...

September 24 ,  1996 :  Major nuclear powers around the world signed the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.  more...

Cognac is a brandy distilled in the Cognac region of France. There is a rating scale to help choose a fine cognac, which is based on the age, blend and, sometimes, the age of the wood of the casks in which it is stored. The highest grade of fine cognac is Extra Old, or XO.

Brandy is wine that has been distilled, removing water and increasing the alcohol content, and then aged in oak casks. It is believed that the distilling process of wines began as an attempt to reduce its volume to avoid taxes. Merchants soon learned the distilled wine product was more potent and sometimes more popular than the wine itself.

While brandy is most often distilled grape wine, other fruits can be used to make the product. Peaches, apples, plums and berries are popular fruits used to make brandies. In the United States, an apple brandy called applejack and made from fermented cider is popular.

Cognac, however, is always grape brandy. There are very high standards that must be met for a brandy to be referred to as cognac. The grapes must be from the Cognac region of France and the resulting wine must be distilled twice in copper stills. The brandy must then be aged in French casks for no less than two years.

Ad

The rating scale designed to help choose a fine cognac refers to the length of time the brandy has been aged. Very Special (VS) is the youngest cognac and has been aged for at least two years. Very Special Old Pale (VSOP) means the brandy has been aged no less than four years. The XO designation is reserved for fine cognac that has been aged a minimum of six years, though the average age is much older. While the age ratings are meant as a general guideline for quality, cognac aficionados say a fine cognac can be found with a VS rating while some lesser cognac may carry an XO rating.

Another factor to consider when choosing a fine cognac is price. Cognac prices vary wildly and bottles up to 200 years old can be purchased for exorbitant sums. A cognac that is from 40 to 50 years old is considered to be the perfect age, though the price of these bottles generally prohibits the average drinker from partaking of them very often. In 2011, a bottle of VS cognac can sell for as little as $10 US Dollars (USD), though a fine cognac may sell for $60 USD, if not considerably more.

Ad

You might also Like

Recommended

Discuss this Article

stoneMason
Post 3

I define a fine cognac as one that is made with 100% of selected grapes and aged for at least ten years.

Cognac is made with Colombard, Ugni Blanc or Folle Blanche grapes but they only have to make up 90% of the batch. The remaining 10% can be any type of grape. I think that a fine cognac should be composed 100% of these grapes, or very close to that.

Also, for cognac to be fine, it should aged for about ten years minimum. The longer the cognac remains in wood barrels, the more complex and more fragrant it becomes. I don't think that four years or six years of aging is enough.

fify
Post 2

@donasmrs-- I'm not a cognac or brandy expert but I think that all cognacs are fine. One that is aged for more than six years certainly is.

I personally don't look for very expensive and aged cognac, because all cognac is like fine brandy. Cognac is always made from high quality grapes and goes through a very specific process to become what it is. It's the best brandy out there and I think that most people are equally happy with a young one and an aged one.

donasmrs
Post 1

Is a cognac aged for 20 years considered a fine cognac?

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email