Category: 

Can You Die from Drinking Too Much Water?

Yes, actually, you can die from drinking too much water. Hyponatremia, or a water overdose, is caused by too much dilution of the blood. Diluting the blood causes an imbalance in blood sodium concentration — if the level drops below 0.4 ounces per gallon (about 135 millimoles per liter), water intoxication can occur.

Water facts:

  • Water makes up about 66% of the human body.

  • Water intoxication symptoms include nausea, headache, vomiting and disorientation.

  • Each year about 1/6 of marathon runners overdose on water trying to remain hydrated during the run.

  • A severe water overdose can cause brain swelling, which can result in seizures, respiratory arrest and death.

  • Scientific studies have found that there is no evidence to support the recommended eight 8-ounce (about 236-ml) glasses of water per day.

  • The average human kidney excretes 0.21 to 0.26 gallons (about 800 to 1,000 milliliters) of water per hour.

Follow wiseGEEK:
  twitter

More Info: Scientific American

Discuss this Article

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email

Free Widgets for your Site/Blog

Although Stonehenge is the most famous, there are over 1,000 ancient stone circles standing in the British Isles.   more...
 
September 26 ,  1960 :  The first televised US Presidential debate took place.  more...